If you’re obsessed with all of the fresh summer produce these days like I am, today’s recipe was truly made for you. After perfecting my homemade green rice recipe a couple of years ago I found myself pairing it with fresh fruits and veggies to create the perfect vegan green rice bowls packed with flavor plant-based protein.
Can we take a minute and look at those GORGEOUS colors?!
These green rice burrito bowls are crunchy, a little sweet, a little spicy and so satisfying. Read the full post for all of my tips on adding proteins, dressings and more to make them your own!
Looking for even more plant-based meals?
I’ve got you covered with my FREE email series: 5 Days of Plant-Based Eating! In this series I share my best plant-based, vegan recipes with you to enjoy for every meal of the day — snacks & desserts included!
Everything you’ll need to make these vegan green rice bowls
We’re packing in a rainbow of delicious fruits and veggies to make these green rice bowls super bright and flavorful. Plus, they pack over 10g of plant based protein! Here’s what you’ll need to make them
- Green rice: the base of these burrito bowls starts with my homemade green rice. YUM.
- Produce: here’s where the rainbow magic happens. You’ll need mango, avocado, red bell pepper, corn, cilantro, red onion and jalapeño to fill these bowls and make them absolutely delicious.
- Black beans: these green rice bowls pack in plant-based protein thanks to a can of black beans!
- Optional dressings: the bowls are delicious as-is but feel free to add one of the wonderful dressings listed below for extra flavor.
Dress them up
Looking to add a little extra flavor to these green rice bowls? Try one of these homemade dressings to take them to the next level:
Make these green rice burrito bowls your own
Because these vegan green rice bowls are filled with so many different textures and flavors, they’re actually perfect for customizing to your taste preferences. Here’s what we can recommend:
- Add another protein. If you’re not plant-based, try adding my Sazon Grilled Chicken Thighs, grilled shrimp, or even ground turkey cooked in my Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning. To keep these bowls vegan you can try adding some grilled tofu, an extra can of black beans, or a can of chickpeas!
- Swap your produce. Feel free to use your favorite fruits & veggies in here! I think pineapple would be delicious in these bowls, as well as grape tomatoes and green onion.
- Get a little cheesy. Feta or cotija cheese crumbles would add a lovely salty element to these green rice bowls.
- Add some crunch. Pair with your fav tortilla chips or top these bowls with yummy tortilla strips!
How to prep the corn
Feel free to add corn kernels in these green rice burrito bowls raw from the cob, otherwise, you can grill or sauté your corn. Try my street corn seasoning and grilling instructions in this recipe.
Prep these green rice bowls ahead of time
These vegan green rice burrito bowls make the BEST meal prep lunch or dinner. To make them ahead of time simply make the rice, chop all of your produce, and store everything in airtight containers in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble the bowls.
Store any leftover burrito bowls in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Then simply enjoy them straight from the fridge!
More vegan lunches & dinners to try
Check out all of our delicious vegan recipes here!
I hope you love these vegan green rice bowls! If you make them be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked them. Enjoy, xo!
Vegan Mango Black Bean Green Rice Burrito Bowls
Beautiful vegan green rice bowls made with homemade green rice, black beans and a rainbow of fruits and veggies. These vibrant green rice burrito bowls are delicious on their own or served with grilled chicken or fish. Truly the perfect meal prep lunch or dinner!
First cook your rice according to the directions in the recipe. While your rice cooks, you can chop all of your veggies and fruits for the bowls.
When you are done, divide rice between four bowls, then divide black beans, mango, avocado, red bell pepper, corn, cilantro, red onion and jalapeno slices evenly between the bowls. Dig in! Serves 4. Serve with lime wedges if you’d like.
Serving: 1serving (based on 4)Calories: 455kcalCarbohydrates: 87.5gProtein: 13.1gFat: 8.1gSaturated Fat: 1.1gFiber: 11gSugar: 18.2g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats
This post was originally published on July 15th, 2021, and republished on July 9th, 2023.