This chocolate mug cake is so quick and easy! It takes less than 5 minutes total. This homemade mini cake is soft, fluffy, moist and rich! It has a strong chocoalte flavor. There are only a few pantry staple ingredints needed for this perfect little dessert!
Satisfy your cravings with this quick and easy Chocolate Mug Cake recipe. This rich and decadent treat takes less than 10 minutes to make, perfect for a last-minute dessert idea any day of the week! No need to turn on the oven for a single serving of dessert, all you need is a microwave. Add chocolate chips and you are all set for a gooey treat!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Easy to make – Using only a handful of ingredients and a microwave, this recipe takes less than 5 minutes to make.
- Single portions – This recipe is specially made for people who are craving only one or two servings. Plus, you can easily adjust this recipe for how many servings you need.
- Affordable – This recipe only uses ingredients that you probably already have. All ingredients can also be easily found at the grocery store!
- Hassle-free – This chocolate mug cake recipe is so easy to whip up without any hassle. You will only need to mix a few ingredients and pop them in the oven for a minute or so!
- Full of chocolate goodness -This recipe is oozing with rich chocolate decadence that will melt in your mouth and satisfy your chocolate cravings.
- Healthy substitutions – You can easily swap out the ingredients for any allergies or diet restrictions or for an overall healthier mug cake. You can substitute all-purpose flour for gluten-free flour and cow’s milk for any dairy-free milk. Additionally, you can substitute sugar for stevia or honey.
- Customize as you like – This recipe can be easily tweaked to your liking! Feel free to add marshmallows, nuts, peanut butter, caramel, or anything else you can think of.
- Perfect for summer – Make this dessert to cool off in the summer! No need to turn on the oven for a delicious treat.
- Diet-friendly – This mini chocolate cake is naturally nut free and egg free. It can be made gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
- Check out this Homemade Mug Cake for another great dessert recipe!
What is a Mug Cake?
A mug cake is a single-serving cake usually made in a microwave-safe mug.
Mug cakes rose to popularity because of how quick, easy, and convenient they are to make.
You will only need to mix a handful of ingredients in a mug and pop it in the microwave!
Thus, you have a sweet and decadent chocolate cake in a mug. Cake has never been so easy!
Ingredients & Substitutes
Scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredient list and instructions for the perfect chocolate mug cake.
- All-purpose flour – Flour helps the mug cake rise and form its structure. You can also substitute it with gluten-free flour with a 1 to 1 ratio.
- Granulated sugar – It sweetens the mug cake and helps keep it soft and moist.
- Cocoa powder – This adds a rich chocolate flavor to the mug cake.
- Sea salt – A little bit of sea salt will balance the sweetness and enhance the flavor of the chocolate.
- Baking powder – It helps the chocolate mug cake rise and gives it a light texture.
- Coconut oil – This baking fat adds flavor and dimension to this recipe. In addition, it helps the cake become light and less dense. You can also use vegetable oil to substitute.
- Vanilla extract – Enhances the flavor of the recipe. Moreover, vanilla adds a cozy flavor.
- Milk – This keeps the mug cake soft and moist. You can use regular cow’s milk or any dairy-free substitute.
- Chocolate chips – Not only add delicious flavor and fudgy texture but also bring joy! Use as much as you like.
Taste & Texture
It is slightly crisp on the outside and gooey on the inside. It is similar to a molten lava cake. From the first bite, it is oozing with chocolaty goodness that will surely melt in your mouth. This mug cake has a strong and indulgent chocolate flavor.
This chocolate mug cake is rich, moist, light, and fluffy. It resembles a classic chocolate cake!
How to Make
First, lightly spray a mug with nonstick spray.
In the mug, combine all of the ingredients except milk and chocolate chips. Stir together.
Add in milk and chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
Microwave for 60 to 90 seconds. Stop and check after 60 seconds. Microwave in 10-second increments after that until the cake is just barely set in the middle.
Very carefully remove the mug cake from the microwave using oven mitts.
Finally, add more chocolate chips on top if desired!
Expert Tips for Success
Use a mug or ramekin that is big enough. The cake batter should only fill it halfway. Otherwise, it will overflow.
Every microwave is different. The cooking time may vary.
Microwave for 60 seconds. Then check to see if the cake is done. Continue cooking as needed.
For gluten-free, use gluten-free flour.
The mug or ramekin will be very hot. Handle carefully.
This chocolate mug cake is best served immediately.
Flavor Variations & Add-Ins
The sky is the limit when it comes to adding flavors and toppings to your mug cake!
Top with vanilla ice cream, frosting, or whipped cream.
Then, add sprinkles, marshmallows, or nuts. Nuts add a delicious crunch!
For a healthy twist, add fruits such as strawberries or blueberries.
Drizzle it with caramel sauce or chocolate sauce for the ultimate dessert!
Try adding peanut butter, coffee, Nutella, shredded coconut, or even peppermint extract to the mixture.
Top with white chocolate chips, crushed Oreos, or peanut butter chips.
How to Serve & Store
This chocolate cake in a mug is best served warm after heating it in the microwave.
Add vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top for the perfect pairing!
Store the mug of chocolate cake in the fridge for up to 3 days.
After that, it becomes dry and crumbly. To reheat it, simply place it in the microwave for up to 30 seconds.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Frosting is always a good idea! Plus, no cake is complete without frosting. Frosting will add more sweetness and richness to your mug cake. Use any flavor of frosting of your liking such as buttercream or chocolate.
Absolutely! Turn this recipe vegan by substituting regular milk with any non-dairy milk of your choice. Also, make sure to buy vegan chocolate chips!
It can easily be gluten-free if you substitute all-purpose flour for gluten-free flour with a 1:1 ratio.
You can microwave this mug cake for 60 to 90 seconds. Stop and check after 60 seconds. Then, microwave in 10-second increments after that until the cake is just barely set in the middle.
Yes! You will need to use an oven-proof mug. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Mug: These mugs are wide and microwave-safe. They are great for making homemade mug cakes.
Measuring Spoons: Use these measuring spoons to measure out the ingredients.
You May Also Enjoy
If you enjoyed this chocolate mug cake recipe, please leave a rating and comment! For more inspiration, check out my Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. For 5 free weekly meal plans and more free resources, sign up to receive my free newsletter! For more great ideas, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Enjoy this chocolate mug cake recipe!